We provide older people who have fallen or are at high risk of falling with a full clinical assessment to help manage and reduce the risk of falls. The Falls Team comprises of four senior members with core backgrounds in Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Nursing, and two Falls Technicians who work across all disciplines, triaging and taking a small clinical caseload.
The team take direct referrals from GP’s, health and social care staff using the nationally recognised 5-Question Falls Screening Tool.
Falls Team Role:
- The Falls team arrange appointments patients who have fallen and formulate an acceptable plan of care/management with each individual patient
- The team encourage the patient to care for themselves and take a more active role in their health care decisions and care is planned around the individual’s wishes, culture and values.
- The team also screen for disease risk factors and early signs of illness
- They perform necessary investigations including 24 hour ECG and blood pressure monitoring, balance and gait assessment, continence assessment, osteoporosis risk assessment etc
- They will draw up a plan of exercise and give the patient home safety advice including adaptive equipment and prescription of walking aids
- The team provides expert assessment, planning and evaluation of falls risks with onward referral where appropriate
- They work closely with GP surgeries, specialist health care professionals, multidisciplinary teams and other local networks to achieve realistic strategies to reduce falls risks
Falls team clinics are held across the county and patients can be seen in their own homes if necessary.
Advanced Falls Practitioners
- Team Lead: Jax Dobell (Occupational Therapist)
- Alex Gorree-Wery (physiotherapist)
- Sam McDonald (Nurse)
Camborne & Redruth Community Hospital
Tel: 01209 318104
Fax: 01209 881615